Forum

Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

(time based) development in apparatus theory and genealogical method

Jan,
You named some theoretical founders of the apparatus theorie, namely Deleuze ('concrete social apparatur') and Agamben ('apparatur' vs. 'counter-apparatur') in combination with Heidegger ('Ge-Stell'). Especially Heidegger has an "innate" development approach towards an "Zukunft" (future).
You also mentioned, that Schneider/Bührmann (with its 'Dispositiv'-Theorie) adress the social change. Understanding this as an time-based Development process, would't it "correspond" to the Foucaultian Theorie in regard of his concept of Geneologie (which he adapted from Nietzsche) in the sense of an REVERSE Process of understanding. And is this - while technically RECONSTRUCTION the "fluxing" (functioning/fireing)  in the digital Network understood as apparatur / technical dispositiv, not exacly the "fitting" of the apparatur/dispositiv theorie ('non-discoursice practices') and the representation theorie ('discoursive practices') understood as a (media) dicourse analyse, in an Foucaultian sense?

(It is more an suggestion, than a brief question...)

Ralf

Hi Ralf, vielen Dank für Deinen Kommentar!

I had to keep it short as we had only one hour. You must have noticed that I was concentrated only on the elements which are closely related to this idea that the order of communication infrastructure conditions the order of the communication itself and that the content carries in itself the infrastructural elements which make possible the manipulation/use. And you have seen that I took the concept of the Bildschirmmedien/Screen media as a starting point. That was not by chance, as I found it important to make the technological dimension of the communication the matter of concern for the communication/discourse researchers.

For this reason the concept of Ge-Stell does play a role. And I did not make this up–in Agamben's essay, this connection is already explained in a very convincing manner, especially when he gives a brief example of telefonino/mobile phones use.

I will think about how the genealogy concept corresponds with the social change–in this sense, I believe it is rather the counter-dispositif that we should be talking about. To understand digital infrastructures as an apparatus corresponds with the Buehrmann/Schneider modell, as the dispositif and discourse are mutually conditional, just as the content/data/metadata flow is dependent on the infrastructure and influences the perfectioning of the infrastructure. 

I don't know if you are happy with my answer, but thank you for the good, challenging comment.

Jan