Forum

Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Questions from the textchat

Dear Hélène,

Thank you for answering most questions in the session. Here are a few more, and maybe a chance to re-engage with the discussion with some participants:

• When "theme" is already assumed, is it necessary to code steps?
  • would this be something like thematic analysis?
  • I was once told that some scholars prefer to use grounded theory as opposed to assemblage theory as it is clearer to grasp. Do you agree with that statement? How do you compare and contract both?

Uschi

Hello Uschi and all participants,

I am sorry I do not understand the first question. I think it may refer to the situation where you have some pre-conceived codes and you apply them to your data, which is more of a deductive study, so in which case I would say no. Please whoever raised the question, ask again here if you need further explanation.

Thematic analysis is quite different to grounded theory in that in grounded theory you collect and analyse your data as you go along, and therefore codes emerge as you progress through data collection and analysis. In thematic analysis, again you have some codes to start with. The other difference is that in thematic analysis you group codes in themes, in grounded theory, it is more about actions. 

I am afraid I will have to read about Assemblage Theory. As I don't know it, I can't really answer the question.

I will post later a bit more about 'bricolage' and thematic analysis.

Thank you, Hélène