Forum

Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Questions from the live session

Hi Johannes,

here is a list - not complete - of comments and questions from the textchat. I'm sure you will be able to interact with participants asynchronously here and answer questions.

Many thanks

Uschi

• Does discourse studies include linguistic and non-linguistic/paralinguistic features
  • Is discourse studies a newer term than discourse analysis?
  • Is discourse studies a Western concept?
  • What are valid ways of knowing in discourse studies? What are the main accepted methods /techniques to establish credible and reliable findings in discourse research?
  • does discourse studies value oral traditions, non-text based languages
  • Can someone examine a different culture from their own from the outside? Do you need to focus on your own discourse community?
  • Is discourse analysis stricly scientific, or is it also philosophy?
  • It also seems that Discourse Studies/Analysis is still in the making. Or it is open for improvisations and experiments.
  • Why is discourse important? why do we feel drawn to analyse it anyway?
  • How much efficiently the DA can be conducted in postmodern realm of ideas?
  • to what extent are DA approaches relevant within a posthumanist approach?
  • What is the role oh the of semioses in Discourse Studies nowadays?
  • Could we afford to make categorical demarcations between discursive and non-discursive practices?
  • How the balance of power antinomies could be maintained while engaging in conducting CDA?
  • Great comments on methods! It reminded me of Foucault saying that "discourse in general and scientific discourse in particular, is so complex a reality that we not only can but should approach it at different levels and with different methods".
  • I think we stand at a point where the integration between methods and general theory is not yet achieved but we really need to say a lot of things, therefore linguists tend to work hard on theur method and the social theory stays light, and on the other hand a lot of social observators easily speak about discourse phenomena without an actual approach on discourse as a symbolic empirical object
  • How can we use the DA methods to understand the evolution of abstract concepts such as ideology, activism…?

How can we use the DA methods to understand the evolution of abstract concepts such as ideology, activism…?

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has any suggestions in response to this. It's a really interesting question.

I'm planning on looking at radical right-wing communication on social media for my PhD. I know that discourse underpins everything that these type of groups write but there seem to be so many different lenses to view it through.